What Can Professional Teeth Whitening Achieve?
3 Minute Read:
Professional teeth whitening is the simplest and fastest way to improve your smile and can be performed alone or combined with other cosmetic dental procedures for stunning results.
However, cavities, gum disease, and other oral health issues must be treated first. Professional dental cleaning is also recommended before receiving a teeth whitening treatment.
When to Consider Professional Teeth Whitening or Bleaching
Having your teeth whitened by a cosmetic dentist can help transform your smile at any time, but the following circumstances make a professional teeth whitening treatment even more desirable:
- Before receiving dental crowns, implants, bonding, or porcelain veneers – By having your teeth whitened prior to these functional or cosmetic treatments, your restorations can be color-matched with lighter natural teeth for a complete smile makeover. Dental restorations cannot be bleached, so this is the best time for professional teeth whitening treatment.
- Before starting your career or after graduating from high school or college – Professional teeth whitening can remove embarrassing dental stains, increase your confidence, and allow you to express yourself genuinely.
- Before an anticipated reunion – If you want to make a great impression, a bright smile can help significantly.
- Before your wedding – You want your wedding to be perfect, and looking your best plays a huge part. Professional teeth whitening can help you feel secure when smiling and laughing with friends and family on your special day.
- Before a vacation – A vacation can be the perfect time to rekindle a relationship or just let loose and have as much fun as possible. A bright smile can keep dental stains from interfering with your enjoyment and happiness.
Is a Professional Teeth Whitening/Bleaching Treatment Right for You?
Professional teeth whitening can do wonders for dull, discolored teeth, and if your dental stains have appeared or worsened over time for the following reasons, it may be the best solution.
- Drinking coffee, tea, or highly pigmented beverages like grape, blueberry, cherry, cranberry, and other dark juices
- Eating dark fruits regularly
- Smoking or other oral tobacco use
- Plaque and tartar build up from insufficient brushing or professional dental cleanings
These habits lead to extrinsic discoloration on teeth (surface stains) and respond very well to professional teeth whitening treatments.
On the other hand, intrinsic dental stains are more difficult to address with teeth bleaching treatments. Several factors may cause deep discoloration, including:
- Overexposure to fluoride as a child
Professional teeth whitening can occasionally help lighten intrinsic stains, but porcelain veneers may be a better option.
Professional Teeth Whitening, Porcelain Veneers, or Both?
Extrinsic dental stains are nothing compared to the power of in-office teeth whitening treatments. However, not all dental stains are extrinsic stains. If your concern involves intrinsic stains or any of the issues listed below, porcelain veneers can be combined with professional teeth whitening or used instead.
- Whitening-resistant intrinsic discoloration
- Small, worn down, or misshapen teeth
- Mild dental misalignment and twisted teeth
- Chipped or cracked teeth
You can choose porcelain veneers to restore your entire smile, or just the teeth professional whitening can’t treat alone. Combining the two treatments is a more cost-effective way to achieve excellent results.
Teeth Whitening in Chicago, IL
Our well-known and reputable dentist, Dr. Vlad Fedin, provides professional teeth whitening and porcelain veneers in the greater Chicago area to restore a beautiful smile.
For comprehensive cosmetic dentistry in Chicago, Illinois, call (312) 642-6631 to schedule an appointment.
See some of our before and after photos by clicking here.