Straighten Teeth With Alternatives to Traditional Braces
Crooked, misaligned teeth can negatively impact both your smile and your dental health. Aesthetically, they can be distracting, displeasing, and embarrassing. From a health perspective, they can affect dental hygiene, be prone to cavities, wear out more quickly, and interfere with bite function. Speaking and eating can even be adversely affected by teeth misalignment.
Braces have long dominated the realm of orthodontic teeth straightening treatments, but new technology has developed alternative treatments that can straighten teeth without unsightly wires and uncomfortable brackets. Invisalign® and ClearCorrect™ are traditional brace alternatives that can restore your smile by straightening and realigning your teeth through a comfortable, aesthetically appealing treatment.
Patients desiring this treatment have crooked or misaligned teeth, possibly with gaps, crowding, and bite issues. Dr. Fiss offers Invisalign® and ClearCorrect™ as alternatives to braces so that patients can receive teeth straightening treatment without sacrificing aesthetics or comfort. These treatments can correct issues such as:
- Gaps between teeth
- Overcrowded teeth
- Protruding teeth (buck teeth)
- Overbite (upper teeth overlap lower teeth)
- Underbite (lower teeth overlap upper teeth)
- Crossbite (upper and lower jaw width are mismatched)
- Open bite (gap between top and bottom teeth)
Invisalign® treatment takes an average of one year for most patients. After your initial dental examination, X-rays, and impressions, Dr. Fiss will order a custom set of Invisalign® alignment trays to be fabricated for your teeth. You will then be fitted with your first set of aligners, which you should wear for up to 22 hours a day and remove only for eating, drinking, brushing, and flossing. The Invisalign® alignment trays will gently cause your teeth to move into alignment. Every two to three weeks, you will exchange these trays for a new set of trays that will bring your teeth closer into alignment. You will also come in for checkups every four to six weeks to ensure that your progress is going well. Eventually, your last set of aligner trays will bring your teeth into their final position. Once your treatment is complete, you may be given retainers to wear at night to maintain your newly aligned smile.
ClearCorrect™ treatment can take anywhere from a few months to a few years. Dr. Fiss will examine your teeth and take X-rays and impressions, after which he will write a prescription for custom ClearCorrect™ aligner trays. You will then be given your first set of alignment trays to wear around the clock and remove only when eating, drinking, brushing, and flossing. The trays will apply gradual pressure to your teeth, causing them to shift into the desired position. After two or three weeks, you will receive a new set of aligners to continue your treatment. This process will repeat, with regular checkups every four to six weeks to monitor your progress. Finally, your last set of trays will finish bringing your teeth into alignment. Afterward, you may be given nightly retainers to prevent relapse.
Advantages Over Braces
Dr. Fiss frequently recommends Invisalign® and ClearCorrect™ for teeth straightening based on their advantages over treatment with braces:
- Invisible: Enjoy the privacy of a smile treatment without telltale brackets and wires.
- Professional: Maintain a mature, professional look throughout your treatment.
- Convenient: Simply remove the aligners when eating, brushing, and flossing.
- No Dietary Restrictions: Remove the aligners at mealtimes to enjoy your favorite foods.
- Maintain Oral Health: Brush and floss easily by removing the trays rather than struggling to work around brace wires.
- Comfortable: Metal-free alignment trays do not irritate the cheeks and gums.
- Flexible: Time-saving treatment and check-up appointments make your schedule more convenient.