April: Oral Cancer Awareness Month
Since Dr. Fiss first introduced the FDA-approved VELscope® Vx Enhanced Oral Assessment System into his practice in 2009, he has been able to provide the community with free oral cancer screenings during the entire month of April. Oral cancer is a devastating disease, and early detection is key in combating this illness to increase the survival rate. Dr. Fiss and his staff are dedicated to treating and educating patients about the risk factors and the important oral cancer facts to be aware of while practicing safe and proper dental hygiene routines.
Signs and Symptoms
Dr. Fiss offers VELscope® technology to all patients during their annual oral exam, but in between visits, these are the signs and symptoms of oral cancer to look for:
- Red and/or white discolorations of the soft tissue of the mouth
- Any sore that does not heal within 14 days
- Hoarseness that lasts for a prolonged period of time
- A sensation that something is stuck in your throat when swallowing
- Unexplained numbness in the mouth
- Ear pain that occurs on one side only
- A sore under a denture, which even after adjustment of the denture, still does not heal
- A lump or thickening that develops in the mouth or on the neck
*Facts provided by The Oral Cancer Foundation.
For additional information on free oral cancer screenings in April by Dr. Fiss, please call (312) 951-5230 or fill out our online contact form.